Thursday 6 September 2012

5am 27th The detailed version....

So that funny feeling in my belly, yeah that was my baby wanting out.

What I thought was a normal morning when i got up to pop to the loo to my surprise was a blob of grossness. Guessing what i had just seen is known as a "show". I wont go into to much detail but was literally a blob of urrrg about the size of a 50p piece. Still wondering if this was the early stages of labour i rang the hospital and they said it sounds like it is but since the pain is 30 minutes apart i need to stay at home, walk around lots and call back when they are 3 minutes apart.

Walk around lots? really... i am the laziest person ever, i dont do walking. They got to every 15 minutes so i chilled in the bath for an hour or two splashing around and then decided i was getting bored at home so me and Mr C went to Windsor to meet his sisters for a Nandos! Yep that's right i went to Nandos whilst having contractions. Anyway after spending the afternoon in town we came home and they weren't getting any closer. By 10pm they were still only 10mins apart. They were getting more painful but not so bad that i was making any noises, just deep breathing and pacing that i learnt from hypnobirthing (free through Wexham). So of to bed i went as i was starting to feel tired and thought it could be a long night and day so i should really get some rest.

3am I woke up and was really starting to feel the pain so i called Wexham and they said well you sound ok like your coping so call back in an hour.

An hour later...still no closer but feeling more intense. I called back, "well you sound really calm call back in a hour". Noooo the last lady said that! I know i sound calm and i am calm but i am in freaking pain now. So they said ok come on in.

An hour later after being examined she said my waters still hadn't broken but i was 3 cm dilated, so off home we go. Mum started making bacon sandwiches which smelt so damn good but i just couldnt bare the thought of eating anything. I crawled into bed but the pain felt even more intense lying down so whilst everyone else went to bed i wore holes in the living room carpet pacing up and down.

I think i may have got an hours sleep but come 8am they were reeeally hurting and i was feeling a lot of pressure around my butt. I have often heard you push like you are pushing for a number2, so i called the hospital. I kind of felt guilty calling again like i might be wasting there time and Guess what they said? Well you sound really calm and like your coping well! Yes bitch i am calm but not coping with the pain now. (i didnt actually use those exact words, i remained polite at all times). All i was thinking was i want to try this gas and air shit (excuse my french) that everyone talks about. So she said well do you think you would to come in? Er YES! So 9am i woke up mum and Mr C and of to the hospital we go again.

We arrived at the birthing center as i had planned a water birth. "just take a seat in the hallway Miss Evans, im just finishing an appointment and then i will be with you, you look like your coping well" said the midwife. I was thinking oh those words are so boring now. I wondered if i come in screaming would you see me quicker?

10 minutes of waiting in the hallway whilst the midwife finishes of a normal routine appointment she then asks me to come in. I asked mum and Mr C to wait outside. The midwife was a lovely Spanish lady who spoke very softly and calm. She said "ok ill have a look but you seem like your doing well, how do you feel?". I then burst into tears and she said "whats wrong Natalie?" (in her lovely Spanish accent) and i said "i don't know!" blubbering away. "The contractions are hurting can i have some gas and air please".  She rubbed my lower back with my next contraction and said "lets me examine you and then ill take you into a room where you can have some". So she had a look and said "yes you've had a show but your waters haven't broken, oh but hang on you are 9 cm dilated, so i think you will be ready to push soon".  Oh you think!

So she said pop a pad on and take a sit in the hallway and ill fill the pool up, however the second midwife might not be finished with her lady and you have to have two midwifes present. She then took us into a room where there was a gym ball and mat. At this point i said bye to my mum as she is fair to emotional and the last thing i want is my mum starring and fussing over me whilst crying.  So the midwife was talking away and i had to interrupt and ask for the gas and air again. She explained how the gas and air works and how to use it to get the full affect, which is basically nothing like how you see the women using it on tv who go crazy puffing away the whole time. So i gave it a go and wow that shhht was good! I was so much in my own zone that i didn't want any fuss like head stroking ect being made (not that Mr C would of anyway) but she showed him how to rub my lower back with his fist with each contraction. Not sure if it helped or if it was the gas and air but each contraction from there on was a breeze. She then asked me to go do a urine sample but as i was waiting to peeing i just felt the urge to push, so came running out or should i say waddling back to the room "oh no no i cant do a sample i think i need to push" so she got me on all fours on the mat leaning on the ball. The birthing pool was full but the second midwife wasn't free from her delivery. So the pushing started whilst holding a cereal bar, which she had me eating to keep my sugar levels up. She said i didn't need the gas and air any more whilst pushing. I found myself listening to everything she said and just went with it. The head was out and literally a minute later i had my next contraction and baby was born. As she turned me over to lie on my back it had gone from just seeing her to seeing 4 or 5 other people in the room. She had noticed a bleed just before the baby's head was out but wasn't sure where from. I closed my eyes whilst they gave me the injection to deliver the placenta, it was actually a really nice belly massage. I cant actually remember if Eva cried straight away or not i just remember looking over at Mr C who was sitting in the corner of this smaller room holding a bundle of blankets and baby who was sucking away on her fist and the lovely Spanish midwife saying "she is a greedy baby she is hungry already".

After the placenta was out they then put a catheter in and said they needed to get me down stairs into a labour room. They wheeled me out to the lift, which turned out to be broken (good old Wexham) so i had to hobble down a flight of stairs. Turns out the bleed was from a internal tear. They started stitching which was worst then labour, i was actually crying my eyes out and started to miss use the gas and air. I then started to feel like i was passing out where i had used so much. Finally she had finished and a senoir lady was coming in to have a look. To my horror i heard her complaining and moaning that it needs to be done again. She was so rude the staff around her snapping at any student midwifes to get out as they are of no use to her. She hadn't even explained to me what was going on and just started un-doing them. At this point the pain killers had worn off and i shouted at her to stop she replied have more gas and air. Bitch. She was so rude and not considerate to my feelings at all. I asked them if they could put me to sleep at one point it was so bad but obviously they said no and that it wont be much longer. Well another hour later, a total of 5 hours of stitching and the cowbag was done. She finished up and walked out with out saying anything to me. I sat up and the first thing i said was "well shes a bitch" and everyone nodded.

So thumbs up to my midwife and a great birth. Thumbs down for the after care.


No comments:

Post a Comment